does raw_input() return unicode?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Oct 10 03:45:01 EDT 2006

"Stuart McGraw" <smcg4191zz at friizz.RimoovAllZZs.com> wrote:

> So, does raw_input() ever return unicode objects and if
> so, under what conditions?

It returns unicode if reading from sys.stdin returns unicode.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to make sys.stdin return unicode for
use with raw_input. I tried what I thought should work and as you can see
it messed up the buffering on stdin. Does anyone else know how to wrap
sys.stdin so it returns unicode but is still unbuffered?

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
>>> import sys, codecs
>>> sys.stdin.encoding
'cp437'
>>> sys.stdin = codecs.getreader(sys.stdin.encoding)(sys.stdin)
>>> raw_input()
hello world
still going?
^Z