Observation on "Core Python Programming"

John Coleman jcoleman at franciscan.edu
Mon Oct 30 10:59:51 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> John Coleman wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >    My copy of the second edition of Chun's "Core Python Programming"
> > just arrived from Amazon on Friday.
>
> Who would you say the book is aimed at? Advanced programmers? I thought
> about getting it, but I'm not sure if it will be either 1) too much
> repetition of the basics I've already learned (which isn't necessarily a
> bad thing), or 2) too advanced for me right now.
>
> Thanks.

It strikes me as being aimed at intermediate programmers who don't have
much familiarity with Python. I bought it since my only other book on
Python ("Learning Python" by Lutz) is somewhat dated now and because I
find that I'm a slow learner and it usually takes me a couple of books
by independent authors to "get" a language. The publisher's page is
more informative than what you see on Amazon. You can see the table of
contents and read a sample chapter there to help you decide if the book
is for you:
http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0130260363,00.html

HTH

-John Coleman