Graph Theory

boggom at comcast.net boggom at comcast.net
Thu Oct 5 18:16:19 EDT 2006

diffuser78 at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply. Since I have not read the documentation, I
> was wondering if you can generate random graph and analyze some
> peroperties of it like clustering coefficient or graph density. I am a
> graph theory student and want to use python for development. Somebody
> told me that Python has already so much bultin. Are there any
> visualization tool which would depict the random graph generated by the
> libraries.

networkx has several random graph generators, including:

   barabasi_albert_graph
   binomial_graph
   erdos_renyi_graph
   gnm_random_graph
   gnp_random_graph
   random_regular_graph
   watts_strogatz_graph

and others (e.g. via configuration_model)

For drawing you can use pygraphviz (also available at
networkx.lanl.gov)
or the built-in drawing tools.

e.g.

>>> from networkx import *
>>> no_nodes=1000
>>> for p in [ 0.1, 0.2, 0.3]:
>>>    g = watts_strogatz_graph(no_nodes, 4, p)
>>>    print density(g), average_clustering(g)

be warned that drawing large random graphs are not overly insightful

check the examples