Dive Into Java?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Oct 9 09:31:56 EDT 2006

Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

> erikcw wrote:
>
>> DiveIntoPython.org was the first book I read on python, and I
>> really
>> got a lot out of it.  I need to start learning Java (to maintain a
>> project I've inherited), and was wondering if anyone knew of any
>> similar books for Java?
>
> Perhaps a bit of a rant, but learn Python and C++, take the worst of
> both, make it a language and you have Java ... ;)

While I do not love java, this is one of the dumbest statements for a while
in this NG - even though it is not meant to be too serious.

C++ has a lot of wicked, complicated features like overloadable assignment
statements and so on, misses GC, and is in general semantically very
overloaded. All that make programming it a real PITA, as you permanently
are at risk loosing your feet through self-inflicted gun-shot-wounds.

While Java is a language that makes it difficult to produce nice or
beautiful code, it certainly is a language that hinders you to shoot in
your own foot really badly.

Diez