How to upgrade python from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4 ?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sat Oct 21 21:55:53 EDT 2006

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com schrieb:
>> I just want to upgrade my python version from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4,do I need
>> to uninstall python 2.4.3 first ?
>>
>> I'd rather not to do so, because I have installed some other python
>> packages for python2.4.3.
>
>You don't have to uninstall. Installing "on top" will work just fine;
>both on Windows and Unix (not sure about Mac).

However, the original poster should note that this will NOT work when going
from 2.4.x to 2.5.x.  Versions where the second digit differs will get
installed into a different directory, so you must re-install all of your
add-in packages.

Having learned that lesson the hard way, I now keep a directory with zips
and tarballs for all of the add-ins I have installed, and I maintain a
single batch file that will install all of them.  This also makes it
trivially easy to install my environment on a different computer.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.