Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Giovanni Bajo raNOsky at deveSPAMler.com
Wed Oct 4 09:08:23 EDT 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

>> I am seriously concerned
>> that the PSF infrastructure committee EVER considered non open-source
>> applications for this. In fact, I thought that was an implicit
>> requirement in the selection.
>
> Being open source wasn't a requirement;

which is, indeed, shocking and amazing.

> minimal requirements were
> specified in the initial message requesting trackers
> (http://wiki.python.org/moin/OriginalCallForTrackers).

Where does it mention that only trackers which have at least an existing
installation and a group of people for maintenance will be considered? It
could easily be assumed that PSF had already enough bandwidth, server,
manpower to handle any bugtracker installation.

In fact, are you absolutely positive that you need so much effort to
maintain an existing bugtracker installation? I know for sure that GCC's
Bugzilla installation is pretty much on its own; Daniel Berlin does some
maintainance every once in a while (upgrading when new versions are out,
applying or writing some patches for most requested features in the
community, or sutff like that), but it's surely not his job, not even
part-time.
--
Giovanni Bajo