PEP 358 and operations on bytes

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 4 13:59:55 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin:
> I think the underlying regexp C library isn't written that way.  I can
> see reasons to want a higher-level regexp library that works on
> arbitrary sequences, calling a user-supplied function to classify
> sequence elements, the way current regexps use the character code to
> classify characters.

To begin with something concrete some days ago I was starting to write
a simple RE engine that works on lists/tuples/arrays and uses Psyco in
a good way (but then I have stopped developing it). Once and only once
some good uses has being found, later someone can translate the code to
C, if necessary.
It seems an interesting thing, but can you find some uses for it?

Bye,
bearophile