Help: Python2.3 & Python2.4 on RHEL4 x86_64

Christopher Taylor chtaylo3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 14:22:22 EDT 2006

> Ok. One solution might be to remove the libdir option, then. Python
> attempts to be "movable", i.e. the libraries are found relative to
> the executable (via dirname(sys.executable)+"../lib/..."). If
> libdir is supported, this approach must be given up - or libdir must
> be given up.

Well, honestly, seeings how LIBDIR doesn't do anything ... I can see
the argument for removing it.
However, I would like to propose a more flexible solution: Perhaps a
./configure parameter called LIBLOC or something like that so that
LIBDIR = $(EXEC_PREFIX)/$(LIBLOC).  Of course, LIBLOC should default
to "lib".  This way the flexibility you mentioned above can be
maintained and the 64bit community (which will eventually be the
entire community) can move forward with minimal hassle.

> The Linux distributions already provide Python binaries (I believe
> Redhat does, too). You could study what they do to achieve that.

Yes, this is true ... but they do not package the most up-to-date
version .. which I need.

Respectfully,
Christopher Taylor