How to invoke ipython in Mac OS X?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Oct 17 10:49:12 EDT 2006

Lou Pecora wrote:

> I installed the SciPy superpackage and have pylab, matplotlib, scipy,
> and numpy apparently running well.  But I want to use matplotlib/pylab
> interactively.  The instructions suggest doing this in IPython.  But
> using ipython on the command line gives me an error.  The system doesn't
> know the command.  Apparently there is no ipython executable in one of
> the bin directories.  I thought the superpackage would add that
> automatically, but I guess not.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get ipython running on my MacOSX 10.4 system?

This is just a guess - but did you check your

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin

(out of my head, but should be precise enough to get you there)

directory for the ipython-binary? Usually, that will be the prefix of
anything compiled/installed to framework-builds. So either you add that to
your path, or create links to e.g. /usr/local/bin

Diez