advice for web-based image annotation

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Thu Oct 19 12:35:00 EDT 2006

Hello,

I want to set up a system where I can have my family members write comments about a
number of pictures, as part of a family tree project.  Essentially, I want them to be
able to log into a website (I already have the webspace, and the server runs python,
but not mod_python), see images, and be able to fill in text boxes for comments and
enter dates for the pictures.  These comments and dates will then be viewable by the
others logging in, so that I can keep track of collect stories, details, dates,
etc...and also, who is writing what, when.

I've written some basic CGI python scripts, and can imagine how to do this, but I was
wondering if it would better to look into a framework like cherrypy, turbogears,
zope, etc.  I have never done any database programming, but have written CGI scripts
to modify excel sheets and text files to store state.  I am not adverse to learning
the database end, but I don't want to climb that hill unless I feel there is a
significant benefit.  I don't have admin rights on the server, if that makes a
difference.

		thanks,

				Brian Blais

--