wxPython installation interferes with win32ui/win32gui

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com
Fri Oct 13 18:22:33 EDT 2006

As soon as I install wxPython on a Py2.3.5, my win32ui / win32gui apps
freak out. buttons in dialogs are magically pressed. backgrounds of
dialogs are colored wrong...

this is with current wxPython (it was the same situation with a wx
version some months back)

When I uninstall wxPython the other win32ui/win32gui apps work again.
What could be the reason?

I made a full file comparison in the c:\Python23 tree: wx installed vs.
wx uninstalled. Besides the wx things in site-packages only ..

c:\Python23\pythonw.exe.manifest
c:\Python23python.exe.manifest

.. and things in "c:\Python23\Scripts" are written/changed. nothing in
site-packages/pythonwin and site-packages/win32*  is changed by the wx
installer. Or does the wx installer change something in the DLL's in
\windows  or worse...?

-robert