Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Oct 9 05:23:22 EDT 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     Fredrik> you need tools to help you track the bugs and their status, but
>     Fredrik> you can handle issue registration, discussion, and most
>     Fredrik> maintenance stuff using good old mail just fine.
>
> Which is something SourceForge has yet to learn.  At work we use a system
> called RT (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/).  While it's not perfect, it
> does allow submissions and responses via email.  That feature alone puts it
> miles ahead of SF in my mind.

I'd also prefer to at least be able to respond to tracker items via
e-mail. I'm traveling a lot by train working off-line most times. An
e-mail spool is unbeatable in this situation. So it's ok for me to add
an issue to a tracker while being online. But the follow-ups should be
possible via e-mail. SF pretty much sucks in this regard (and has other
issues too).

The main reason why I'm following this discussion is that I'd also
prefer to move away from SF for python-ldap. One reason is availability
and the other one is the really bad user interface.

I could imagine to spend some spare time when this infrastructure can
also be used for python-ldap. And pydns would be another candidate to be
moved away from SF.

Ciao, Michael.