proper format for this database table

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Oct 19 16:26:06 EDT 2006

At Thursday 19/10/2006 17:07, John Salerno wrote:

>Hi guys. I was wondering if someone could suggest some possible
>structures for an "Education" table in a database. It will contain at
>minimum university names, years of attendance, and degrees earned. My
>problem is that I don't know quite how to set this up for people who
>have attended multiple universities. I could do:
>
>university text DEFAULT NULL,
>yearStart integer DEFAULT NULL,
>yearEnd integer DEFAULT NULL,
>degreesEarned text DEFAULT NULL
>
>But this only allows for one university. (Also not sure if I should
>split up the years like that.) But mainly I'm looking for a way to
>construct this table so it can hold multiple universities, if necessary.

The relationship should be 1:n between a Person and its Education records.
Person 1<--->n Education
so just add a PersonId to the table and you're done.
Depending on your needs, later university and degreesEarned may
become entities instead of simple text attributes.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.