People's names

Jorge Godoy jgodoy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 07:11:17 EDT 2006

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

> It seems like some sort of free text search on a "full name" field looks like
> the only realistic globally-acceptable (?) option.

This is what we opted doing.  Normalization to this level wouldn't add much
since there are a lot of "Smith"s that aren't relatives.

If finding relatives is something you need to do, demand that the mother's
name be filled in and put an optional field for father's name.  Then compare
and ask if there's something between two people with the same mother /
father.  (Remember about people with the same name!  There are a lot of "John
Smith" or "José da Silva" around :-))

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy at gmail.com>