Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Giovanni Bajo raNOsky at deveSPAMler.com
Wed Oct 4 13:27:36 EDT 2006

Steve Holden wrote:

> No, I'm not on the infrastructure list, but I know that capable people
> *are*: and you know I am quite capable of donating my time to the
> cause, when I have it to spare (and sometimes even when I don't).
>
> Perhaps what I *should* have written was "Sadly *many* people spend
> too much time bitching and moaning about those that roll their
> sleeves up, and not enough rolling their own sleeves up and pitching
> in".
>
> Sniping from the sidelines is far easier than hard work towards a
> goal.
>
> Kindly note that none of the above remarks apply to you.

The current request is: "please, readers of python-dev, setup a team of 6-10
people to handle roundup or we'll go to a non-free software for bug
tracking".  This is something which I cannot cope with, and I'm *speaking*
up against. Were the request lowered to something more reasonable, I'd be
willing to *act*. I have to speak before acting, so that my acting can
produce a result.

And besides the only thing I'm really sniping the PSF against is about
*ever* having thought of non-FLOSS software. This is something I *really* do
not accept. You have not seen a mail from me with random moaning as "Trac is
better", "Bugzilla is better", "why this was chosen". I do respect the fact
that the PSF committee did a thorough and correct evaluation: I just
disagree with their initial requirements (and I have not raised this point
before because, believe me if you can, I really thought it was obvious and
implicit).

So, if your remarks apply to me, I think you are misrepresenting my mails
and my goals.
--
Giovanni Bajo