can't open word document after string replacements

Antoine De Groote antoine at vo.lu
Tue Oct 24 03:25:46 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I have a word document containing pictures and text. This documents
holds several 'ABCDEF' strings which serve as a placeholder for names.
Now I want to replace these occurences with names in a list (members). I
open both input and output file in binary mode and do the
transformation. However, I can't open the resulting file, Word just
telling that there was an error. Does anybody what I am doing wrong?

Oh, and is this approach pythonic anyway? (I have a strong Java background.)

Regards,
antoine

import os

members = somelist

os.chdir(somefolder)

doc = file('ttt.doc', 'rb')
docout = file('ttt1.doc', 'wb')

counter = 0

for line in doc:
     while line.find('ABCDEF') > -1:
         try:
             line = line.replace('ABCDEF', members[counter], 1)
             docout.write(line)
             counter += 1
         except:
             docout.write(line.replace('ABCDEF', '', 1))
     else:
         docout.write(line)

doc.close()
docout.close()