Is this a bug? Python intermittently stops dead for seconds

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Oct 1 04:09:47 EDT 2006

Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> charlie strauss wrote:
>
> > Below is a simple program that will cause python to intermittently
> > stop executing for a few seconds.  it's 100% reproducible on my
> > machine.
>
> Confirmed with Python 2.4.2 on Windows.
>
> gc.disable() fixes it, so it looks like you found an inefficiency in the
> Python's GC. I have no idea whether this would be considered a bug by Python's
> developer, but you can try opening a bugreport...

Reproduced on 2.4.3 and 2.5 on Windows.
Disabling GC fixes the speed problem as Giovanni said, but doesn't
reduce the amount of memory taken (measured by increase in "page file
used" display in Task Manager). At about 520 Mb, this seems rather too
high to me.

Definitely worth reporting, even if the outcome is only(!) a timbottian
dissertation of why it's not a problem -- at least we'd learn something
:-)

Cheers,
John