[OT] Re: A suggestion/request for IDEs

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Oct 19 11:45:37 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> I apologize for the slightly off-topic nature, but I thought I'd just
> throw this out there for anyone working on text editors or IDEs with
> auto-completion.

Well, Vim7's autocompletion already allows this.  Earlier
versions of vim also allowed similar behavior, but (AFAIK) didn't
have a nice way to cancel the suggestion or to accept the
suggestion without an additional character (or leaving insert
mode).  In Vim7, you can abort your current ^P/^N completion with
^E (to regain just what you typed, minus the current
completion/suggestion) or you can accept it with ^Y (which won't
add an extra character), or you can just continue typing to
accept the completion, and then add the character you typed (such
as space, period, etc).

Other editors/IDEs may have similar functionality...

-tkc