wing ide vs. komodo?

Fri Oct 13 20:27:56 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Just curious what users of the two big commercial IDEs think of them
> compared to one another (if you've used both).
>
> Wing IDE looks a lot nicer and fuller featured in the screenshots, but a
> glance at the feature list shows that the "personal" version doesn't
> even support code folding! That's a little ridiculous and makes me have
> doubts about it.
>
> Komodo, on the other hand, seems to have more of the features that the
> personal version of Wing IDE lacks (call tips, class browser, etc.) but
> the look of it seems very sparse for some reason.

Well, I've tested out both for a little bit, and my first impression is
that Wing is very slow and laggy (Personal Edition, at least) compared
to Komodo. When you drag windows around, they leave huge trails, and the
autocomplete really slows down the text. Komodo didn't seem to have
these issues. But Wing's autocomplete definitely is more complete than
Komodo's.