Overriding builtin getattr method

Raja Raman Sundararajan ram0812 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 08:06:24 EDT 2006

Hello Gabriel Genellina  and Diez B. Roggisch,
    Thanks for sharing your opinions. I agree with Gabriel when he
talks about the separation between the presentation and the DB level
access and the drawbacks of introducing character manipulation. The
problem that I am facing right now is that the presentation layer uses
several different page rendering machines (about 12).
Some of them use the escaping techniques that presents browser reserved
characters to be  "unrunnable" <,> we just some examples, so far so
great. But the other presentation layer engines(about 9) used are basic
(optimized for fast rendering) and do not use such filtering/encoding
mechanisms. Since the amount of files that is used by the "basic"
rendering machines are quite high, I am forced to fix the problem in a
much lower level.

I have found a work around for it...since the pages presented by the
basic rendering machines knows about objects fetched from the DB and
the type of request(which presentation engine to use) generated, I
collect information about these in a struct. This struct also contains
information about the level of encoding needed.

I overrode __getattribute__ method (which is always called when
one fetches an attribute of an object) in the base class and introduced
encoding level in the class. The __getattribute__ then checks for the
level of encoding needed depending on the infor from the struct and
returns the encoded data to the presentation layer when needed. The
business object or the functional layer is unaffected as the default
value returned by the __getattribute__ is the unencoded data from the
DB.

Raja