Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Wed Oct 4 17:16:10 EDT 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

>> The surprise people are expressing is because they thought one of the
>> goals of a big open source project would be to avoid reliance on
>> closed tools.
>
> I don't think Python has ever had this as a goal.  Python's license
> lets it be embedded in closed-source products; Windows binaries are
> built using closed-source tools (MS Visual C), and on some platforms
> we use a closed-source system compiler; python.org used to be a
> Solaris box, and now uses SourceForge which runs on top of DB/2...

Notice that there is a different between "allowing/helping/supporting non-free
software" and "avoid reliance on non-free software". The fact that Python
license allows it to be used in non-free products falls in the former, while
the usage of Jira is part of the latter. Distributing binaries compiled with
closed-source tools is not a problem since people can still compile it with
different free compilers.

> IMHO, using Jira presents risks that are manageable:
> [...]
>
> * A data export is available if we decide to switch. [...]

Out of curiosity, how is this obtained? Is this any plan to take a daily export
or so?
--
Giovanni Bajo