Best IDE?

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 18:40:13 EDT 2006

Ahmer wrote:
> What do you guys use?
vim

> What platform(s) is it avalable on?

Windows, Unix/Linux, Mac, Amiga, others

> How much does it cost?

Free, and the source is open too.

> Why?
> What do you like and hate about it?

Like:

Built-in python interpreter so you can do any editor customizations in
Python
Good multilanguage support (Python, but also C, C++, Java, HTML, XML,
SQL, and dozens of others)
FAST
Good code navigation via smart tags
Does intelligent completion of module members, methods, etc
Python syntax checking on the fly (e.g. typing "if a=1:" and hitting
enter flags the error immediately)
Class browsing support (whatever I'm editing, there's a class menu to
either pop up to the parent(s), down to children, or jump around
various methods within the class)
Automatically show function/method docstrings/leading comments (and
documentation for standard functions), synopsis in the status bar or
full text in a popup window if you hit F1
Configurable project support so for large projects it is smart about
which parts of the source tree might be relevant to what I'm working on
right now
Runs in text-mode or GUI, so I can use the same editor making quick
edits over ssh that I use in my on-desktop development

Hate:
Required a lot of customization to get all of the above