python GUIs comparison (want)

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 14:58:59 EDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Kevin Walzer <kw at kevin-walzer.com> wrote:

> wxPython:
> Pro: Popular, actively developed, wraps native widgets, looks great on
> Windows, commercial-friendly license
> Con: Based on C++ toolkit; docs assume knowledge of C++; some think
> coding style is too much like C++; complex to build and deploy on Linux
>  (wraps Gtk)

I agree with this assessment. I hated writing the code in wxPython,
since it was very ugly, with tons of getters/setters lots of constants
and ids WRITTEN_IN_ALL_CAPS. Yuck.

That's why I think you and others are doing a grave disservice by
ignoring Dabo. With Dabo, you get the best-looking toolkit across
platforms (wxPython), but a clean, Pythonic API with none of the C++
crud. I've been a dozen times more productive since I switched to
doing my UI code in dabo.ui, and even better, I don't have to
constantly look up the names of the appropriate constants, etc. - the
API is that much more consistent.

--

# p.d.