Python component model

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 10 07:33:29 EDT 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
[...]
>>Just the same, one can use IronPython to call components written in
>>other languages. And, I believe, vice versa.
>

> Sure, as I can do it in jython. But the key point is: can your ordinary
> python-object be published as a component? At least for jython I can
> say "no", you will have to subclass an already existing
> java-object/interface. And I have difficulties imagining that it is any
> different in .NET - because I've read statements that claimed that the
> structure of the VM/runtime is orientied towards single-inheritance
> statically typed languages as C#/java.

The answer to this question is currently beyond me. Maybe someone who
knows more about IronPython can elucidate. I do know (as you probably do
also) that Python generates code for the .NET CLR, however.

I don't think there's any *theoretical* reason why IronPython components
can't be called from other languages, but as to the practicalities
(specifically whether IronPython produces linkable assemblies) we'll
have to wait for someone who knows.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119