SOAPpy and callback

Fri Oct 13 12:24:23 EDT 2006

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote in message
news:4p9r78Fi2olfU1 at uni-berlin.de...
> Paul McGuire schrieb:
>> "Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote in message
>> news:4p94a0Fhr1amU1 at uni-berlin.de...

>>> I've never seen any callback mentioned in SOAP. Are you sure this is
>>> possible with any SOAP implementation, at least standard-wise?
>> This is most definitely possible, in fact it is the basis for a new
>> asynchronous data collection standard for semiconductor equipment,
>> Interface A (replacing the ancient SECS/GEM interface, originally
>> designed to work over RS-232).  However, it is a major pain to implement.
>

> I don't call 'you can do that on your own' as standard-wise.
>
> Certainly you can run two servers, make sure they are mutually reachable,
> and client and server share the same process space.
>
> But that is not a callback - it is, as you say, a PITA. And a massive lack
> in the SOAP standard.
>
> Regards,
>
> Diez

I like your term "standard-wise".  Although there is nothing in the SOAP
"standard" that prevents this architecture, it is probably open for
discussion whether it is "wise."

As it happens, the client and server *don't* share the same process space -
they don't even share the same computer.

And it *does* work, I'm running the software on a couple of systems in my
office right now.

-- Paul