Python

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Oct 2 18:17:36 EDT 2006

At Monday 2/10/2006 09:40, Bryan Leber wrote:

Please keep your messages on the list. Other people may have bettter
chances to help too.

> > I don't see anything wrong with those lines. Try printing pullerList
> >before the loop, to see exactly its contents.
> >

>Yea, I have been printing what is in pullerList before and it shows
>the four lines(i.e PATCH_NUMBER, BUG_NUMBER, etc) with the values
>after it. One thing I notice is that using CVS, when the information
>is pulled from the commit message, it puts all of those lines into
>pullerList[0] index, so if I did pullerList[1] to try to get the
>second line it gives me index out of range, because everything is in
>index spot 0. So that is why we have to do line.split thing. When I
>run it in debugger it does split the lines the variable ov shows
>that it has the contents of overview in it, but just wont print it
>to the file:(

Use print repr(something) when you want to see its contents.
For a list, in python, you'll get something like that:
['One','two','three']
That is, some items separated by commas and enclosed in []
If you get something different then pullerList is NOT what you expect
it to be - and you'll have to figure out what happened to it, usually
looking at where it comes from.
For example, if you get it from a file -I think this is the case- and
you want each line from the file in each list element, use
file.readlines(). If you read the file as a whole (that is, using
file.read()) you'll get something like 'one\ntwo\nthree\n'
As I said before, make sure your script works fine testing it
*alone*, after then, try it with CVSNT. If it doesnt work, maybe what
you get is not what you expect it to be - use print repr(...) to see
what's your input.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.