What's the best IDE?

Theerasak Photha hanumizzle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 01:00:58 EDT 2006

On 10/27/06, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, I've read similar things before and I don't quite get it. I
> guess all of us are Emacs begginers the first time we try emacs.
> Actually, I started using Emacs about 1 month after installing Linux;
> what hooked me was the possibility of editing code AND submit it to an
> inferior process, just like that (this I experienced first with R, but
> of course you can do the same with Python) and using the same
> environment for all of my editing and programming tasks.

I've used Emacs for a long time, but I think I might be going back to
Vim 7.0 now that they improved the scripting functionality with *real*
arrays and dicts. In some respects, this is now better than in Emacs,
where the hash functionality is...well...cumbersome at best.

Main reason would be that Vim is so much easier to customize and find
things in than Emacs. I long time ago, I actually submitted a bug
report for the perl plugin  I hate to appeal to popularity, but Vim's
greater popularity also contributes to higher quality in a number of
cases: consider Ruby support for instance. Light years ahead of what
Emacs has.

vimshell is a (nearly) full-blown terminal emulator facility for Vim
http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

In any case, chok dee khrab (good luck with it).

-- Theerasak