question about xmlrpc server: returning a list of lists to a Java client?

fortepianissimo fortepianissimo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 02:41:26 EDT 2006

fortepianissimo wrote:
> I have a simple xmlrpc server/client written in Python, and the client
> throws a list of lists to the server and gets back a list of lists.
> This runs without a problem.
>
> I then wrote a simple Java xmlrpc client and it calls the python
> server. But I can't figure out what type to cast the result (of type
> Object) to. The Java xmlrpc call is basically this:
>

> Object result = client.execute("MyFunction", params);
>

> And I tried to replace that line with
>
>  Vector result = (Vector) client.execute("MyFunction", params);
>
> and
>
> ArrayList result = (ArrayList) client.execute("MyFunction", params);
>
> and both gave me  java.lang.ClassCastException.
>
> I'm really not a Java expert - anyone can give a hint or two?
>
> (NOTE the java client/python server works well when the returning
> result is of type string - so this rules out some other possible
> problems)
>
> Thanks a lot!

Ok I'll answer to myself: found this message

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-xmlrpc-user/200603.mbox/%3C50EEA33C-9A07-47BB-8AAE-CC5DF705EB04@wilson.co.uk%3E

Basically it's introduced by a bug in Apache XMLRPC 3.0a1
implementation.

Anyone knows any update on this please do post up (the message was
dated in March 2006) - appreciate it!