Problem with ez_setup on a "non-networked" machine

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 22:34:24 EDT 2006

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to install setuptools on a work PC behind an NTLM firewall.
I've tried to use APS as recommended but am still unable to have
anything other than IE talk through firewall. But as I can downloaded
eggs manually, I'm not overly concerned at this point.

So I've tried following the instructions for un-networked installs:
I've downloaded ez_setup.py and setuptools-0.6c3-py2.4.egg, putting the
egg file in the same folder as ez_setup.

No matter what comline args I try, though, it always seems to try to
grab the egg from the Cheeseshop. I naively started off with:

D:\downloads>ez_setup setuptools
Downloading
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c3-py2.4.egg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\downloads\ez_setup.py", line 217, in ?
    main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "D:\downloads\ez_setup.py", line 149, in main
    egg = download_setuptools(version, delay=0)
  File "D:\downloads\ez_setup.py", line 131, in download_setuptools
    src = urllib2.urlopen(url)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 130, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 358, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 376, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 337, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 1021, in http_open
    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 996, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10061, 'Connection refused')>

So reading through the EasyInstall instructions, I find that I need to
stop it from downloading and point it at the local copy instead:

D:\downloads>ez_setup --allow-hosts=None --find-links="D:\downloads"
setuptools
Downloading
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c3-py2.4.egg
Traceback (most recent call last):
[snip]
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10061, 'Connection refused')>

This I don't understand, as the docs explicitly state,
"--allow-hosts=None prevents downloading altogether", which certainly
isn't the case here. Even using the exact param layout for the example
in the docs doesn't work:

D:\downloads>ez_setup -H None -f D:\downloads setuptools
Downloading
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.
6c3-py2.4.egg
Traceback (most recent call last):
[etc]

The difference is that I'm using ez_setup instead of easy_install, but
then that's what I'm wanting to end up with out of this exercise. The
docs do state that ez_setup uses the exact same comline args as
easy_install...is this definitely the case?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm missing
something blatantly obvious...

Danke.

- alex23