_winreg.saveKey question

RodneyWMcBride at gmail.com RodneyWMcBride at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:08:32 EDT 2006

Post _winreg.SaveKey question
Does anyone know where I might find some sample code of using the
saveKey function? I am getting an error 5 access denied and I think
that it is coming from the way I am specifying the filename as in
_winreg.SaveKey(key, filename). The docs mention that if the key is to
a remote host (which it is in my case) that the path is relative. I
read this as meaning that I should use a unc path back to where I want
to save the registry key file. Here is a section of the code I am
using:

def remoteSaveKey(host, key, file):
rhostreg = _winreg.ConnectRegistry(host, _winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
remotekey = _winreg.OpenKey(rhostreg, key)
_winreg.SaveKey(remotekey, file)

... from main():

readfile = open('hostlist.txt', 'r')
hostfile = []
for host in readfile:
hostfile += [host.strip()]

for srvname in hostfile:
outputpath = destsrvr + srvname # destsrvr is server/share
outputfile = outputpath + "\\" + srvname
output = remoteSaveKey(hostname, regpath, outputfile)

I am able to connect to the registry and I believe that the key is
being specified correctly, but I am getting the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 40, in ?
output = remoteSaveKey(srvname, regpath, outputfile)
File "main.py", line 17, in remoteSaveKey
_winreg.SaveKey(remotekey, file)
WindowsError: [Errno 5] Access is denied

I have searched but have only been able to find documentation with
little to no examples on how to implement the SaveKey function with a
remote host. Any help will be appreciated.

thx