Event driven server that wastes CPU when threaded doesn't

Nick Vatamaniuc vatamane at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 16:13:32 EST 2006

Snor,

The simplest solution is to change your system and put the DB on the
same machine thus greatly reducing the time it takes for each DB query
to complete (avoid the TCP stack completely).  This way you might not
have to change your application logic.

If that is not an option, then you are faced with a problem of
connecting a threaded programming model with an event based model
(twisted and and such). So your job is to interface the two. In other
words make the event based model see the threaded DB access as event
based. And the DB driver to see the event-based system as threaded. So
in your event dispatcher you could add events like db_request_finished
then when a connection is requested to the DB, a callback will be
supplied. The connection will take place in its own thread, then when
it is finished it will put the db_request_finished and the respective
callback function on the event queue. I am not sure how to integrate
that into the Twisted event dispatcher... perhaps this class is the
answer?:
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.python.dispatch.EventDispatcher.html

Hope this helps,
Nick V.