Experiences with Py2Exe

Tim N. van der Leeuw tnleeuw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 09:54:36 EDT 2006

Hi Isaac,

Isaac Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for feedback from people that has used or still uses
> Py2Exe. I love to program in python, and I would like to use it to
> write support tools for our development team, but I cannot require
> everyone to install python in their machines, so I was thinking that
> Py2Exe would help on that.
>
> The support tools I write are mostly command line driven (no GUI), but
> in the future, I would like to write some expert applications that will
> contain GUI. I was thinking on using wxPython for the GUI, so I was
> wondering how well behaves Py2Exe with the wxPython module.

My experiences with Py2Exe and wxPython are very good. In fact, the
samples included with Py2Exe include some wxPython samples.

It's also possible to get PyGTK working with Py2exe, but it's a bit
more convoluted. However, the examples on the PyGTK and esp. Py2exe
websites should get you there.

What was more difficult was Amara, but with some tweaking even that
eventually worked.

I have no experience with CTypes, so I can only assume that it will
work... p4.py might be more reason to worry but you'd have to ask
around or try.

PythonWin was painless, no issues at all getting pythonwin/com etc.
stuff to work.