Python component model

Edward Diener No Spam eldiener_no_spam_here at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 10 09:11:10 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Nick Vatamaniuc wrote:
>
>> At the same time one could claim that Python already has certain
>> policies that makes it seem as if it has a component model.
>
> every Python object surely qualifies as a component, for any non-myopic
> definition of that word, and everything inside a Python program is an
> object.  so yes, Python has a component model, and Python programmers
> are using that model all over the place.
>
> what might be missing is support for publishing additional metadata
> using a standardized vocabulary, and a way to access that data with-
> out having to actually create the object.
>
> implementing this using existing mechanisms is trivial (as the endless
> stream of interface/component/adapter/trait implementations have shown
> us); coming up with a good-enough-to-be-useful-for-enough-people
> vocabulary is a lot harder.

There's no doubt that Python's excellent introspection mechanism allows
an outside RAD-like tool to inspect the workings of any Python object.
But that does not make it a component model in my original use of the
term on this thread. A RAD tool needs to know what properties and events
within a class can be manipulated visually, and it needs to be able to
serialize those properties and events so that they are set at run-time
automatically once an object is created.