does raw_input() return unicode?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 11 00:47:29 EDT 2006

Theerasak Photha schrieb:
> The other way around: would urwid use raw_input() or other Python
> input functions anywhere?

Since I still don't know what urwid is, I can't answer the question.
It should be easy enough to grep its source code to find out whether
it ever uses raw_input.

> And what causes Unicode input to work in IDLE alone?

Because in IDLE, it is possible to enter characters that are not
in the user's charset. For example, if the user's charset is
cp-1252 (western european), you can still enter cyrillic characters
into IDLE. This is not possible in a regular terminal.

Regards,
Martin