XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document

kath nitte.sudhir at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 19:44:38 EDT 2006

Hi....

XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document

What does this error means?

When I try to open some excel files using XLRD, I encounter this error.
Not with every excel, but with some file.
Can anybody help me know, what is this error trying say and what I
should do to avoid this.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"D:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py",
line 310, in RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File "D:\Python23\Testing area\Python and Excel\read_map.py", line
71, in ?
    workbook=xlrd.open_workbook(_file[kfp])
  File "D:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\xlrd\__init__.py", line 121, in
open_workbook
    logfile=logfile, verbosity=verbosity, pickleable=pickleable,
use_mmap=use_mmap,
  File "D:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\xlrd\__init__.py", line 304, in
__init__
    raise XLRDError("Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document")
XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document

Thank you.
Regards,
sudhir.