Lookuperror : unknown encoding : utf-8

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Oct 30 04:45:38 EST 2006

Sachin Punjabi wrote:

> I installed the newer version on D drive and it was previously
> installed on C drive. Also the command which bjorn asked me to execute
> on command line worked very much fine.

what happens if you *type* in the problematic statements at the command
line, e.g.

 >>> import codecs
 >>> f = codecs.open( "/python24/README.txt", "r", "utf-8" )

if this still gives you the same exception, what output do you do the
same in a Python interpreter run with the "-v" option:

 > d:
 > cd \python24
 > python -v
 >>> import codecs
 >>> f = codecs.open( "README.txt", "r", "utf-8" )

</F>