Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 5 14:12:40 EDT 2006

Michael Ströder schrieb:
>> Martin, I am by no means understimating Daniel's work. I am just noting that
>> the spare-time work he did is, by definition, much much lower than the "6-10
>> people" that the PSF infrastructure committee is calling for. I would like this
>> statement to be officially reduced to "2-3 people", since it is *really* not
>> required much more than that to setup a bug tracker installation, and no more
>> than 1 person to maintain it afterwards.
>
> Glancing over this thread I wonder what these people are supposed to do.
> Any list of requirements available?

Anybody can help who has general experience with "server
administration"; if you do, you know what typical problems are.
In addition, you either should know how roundup works already,
or should be willing to learn it as you go (from the fellow
volunteers who have more insights).

I can't personally anticipate what problems occur; it's only
clear that the volunteers should "just make it work".
The regular admin tasks likely include stuff like this:
- the system is unavailable, bring it back to work
  This is really the worst case, and a short response time
  is the major factor in how users perceive the service
- the system is responding very slowly
- "when I do this operation, it doesn't work" or
  "when I do this operation, I get that error"
- "why does this f*cking system require me to do foo,
   I don't want that"

There might also be the need for regular maintenance.
Ad hoc, the only thing that comes to mind is user
account maintenance: what users get what permissions.
Traditionally (because of the SF model), Python committers
get "admin" rights on the tracker, i.e. the right to close
issues they didn't create. Not sure what the best model
is for Roundup (roundup expertise is needed to propose
an appropriate access control model). Other regular
maintenance might involve spam removal; ideally,
this would be minimal due to a well-thought access
control.

Finally, there might be a need for customization,
perhaps by means of implementing new features. Clearly,
whether features can be implemented depends on the
amount of volunteer time available and neede, and also
on the importance of the requested feature. For example,
in SF, we requested that the "Check to upload" button
is removed; it took SF several years to implement that
request.

Regards,
Martin