Python component model

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:49:21 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Peter Maas <peter.maas at somewhere.com> wrote:
> Peter Decker wrote:
> > I think you should take a good look at Dabo and the visual tools they
> > are creating.
>
> Thanks for the hint, Peter. I've heard of Dabo and it's on my list of
> things to be inspected. Perhaps my postings have been misunderstood. I don't
> feel uneasy with Python. I'm using it since 4 years and know how to find
> the tools I need. But I feel uneasy with an excessive readiness of some
> c.l.p participants to accept Python as it is and even to react defiantly
> on friendly suggestions how to make Python a more obvious choice for
> newcomers. I think this is important for Python's survival.

I think that Python is a 3GL. Dabo is a 4GL version of Python, in that
its UI is part of its core API.

Dabo is written by people with visual tools backgrounds, and they are
definitely aiming toward that market. They are looking to the same
niche that Visual Basic, Visual FoxPro, Filemaker, Delphi, and other
similar products are addressing.

--

# p.d.