COM error

Teja tejovathi.p at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:41:26 EDT 2006

Neil Cerutti wrote:
> On 2006-10-14, Teja <tejovathi.p at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is "ValueError: argument is not a COM object" ? I get this
> > error when I try to pass a COM object to a thread.
> >
> > Any pointers????
>
> Try passing it to Larry Bird, instead. He's bound to score some
> points.
>
> Seriously, the function you called expected a COM object and you
> passed it something else. Without seeing more code, it's hard to
> be any helpfuller.
>
> --
> Neil Cerutti

HI all,

I have a problem in accesing COM objects in threads. To be precise,
lets assume that I have a class GenericFunctions which is defined as
follows:

import win32com.client, pythoncom, thread
ie=win32com.client.Dispatch('internetexplorer.application')
ie.Visible=1

class GenericFunctions:

       def __init__(self):
             print "In Constructor of Generic Functions"

       def MyNavigate(self,dest):
             ie.Navigate(dest)

Now there  is another file Main.py which is defined as follows:

import win32com.client, pythoncom, thread
from GenericFunctions import *
obj = GenericFunctions()

class Mainclass:
       def __init__(self);
            print "In Constructor of Main class"

       def threadFunction(self,dest):
            pythoncom.CoInitialize()
            d=pythoncom.CoGetInterfaceAndReleaseStream(s,
pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
            my_ie=win32com.client.Dispatch(d)
            obj.func(dest)          # this is gving an error.
            pythoncom.CoUninitialize()

if __name__ == "__main__":

s=pythoncom.CoMarshalInterThreadInterfaceInStream(pythoncom.IID_IDispatch,ie)
         thread.start_new_thread(self.nav, (s,'www.google.com')

Basically, I want to access object of GenericFunctions class inside
threadFunction(). However I was able to execute
my_ie.Navigate("google.com"). But that was not I wanted. I am not
knowing where the error is....
Please let me know the solution ASAP...

Teja.P