Output from subprocess.Popen()

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 17 01:39:02 EDT 2006

Clodoaldo Pinto Neto wrote:

> But I still don't understand what is happening. The manual says that
> when shell=True the executable argument specifies which shell to use:

no, it says that when shell=True, it runs the command "through" the
default shell.  that is, it hands it over to the shell for execution,
pretty much as if you'd typed it in yourself.

> To make my confusion bigger, in Fedora sh is just a link to bash:

that only means that the programs share the same binary, not that they
necessarily have exactly the same behaviour:

$ man bash

   INVOCATION

   If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the
   startup behavior of historical versions of sh as closely as
   possible, while conforming to the POSIX standard as well.

</F>