python GUIs comparison (want)

Stephen Eilert spedrosa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:47:04 EDT 2006

BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> Well, I am woefully unqualified to speak to the general state of Python
> gui frameworks, but I am in a similar situation as the OP, i.e., a
> beginner looking to TRY some easy gui programming in Python. Not being
> a computer science person, just an amateur scripter, I tend to learn
> best from lots of examples.
>
> With all of that as background, I downloaded the latest wxPython demos
> and docs yesterday. I suggest that the OP do the same. The demo.py
> program is an amazing piece of work. It's loaded with specific examples
> which allow you to view the frame or dialog etc, and then look behind
> it to see the code used to create it.
>
> rd

You can also download wxGlade and ask it to generate the code for you.
You just have to layout the components the way you want it, wxGlade
does the rest. Even though there are tons of wxWidgets components it
does not support, you can put something as a placeholder and just
replace the code later.

For looks, speed, ease of use (even though it is not Pythonic),
platform compatibility and use of native widgets, my vote goes to
wxPython. If you don't mind adding another layer (as I doubt the
runtime performance suffers much - if at all), there is dabo.ui (thanks
to whoever pointed it out to me).

PyQT looks good... under KDE, alien under Win32. PyGTK looks good under
Gnome, and acceptable on Win32, even if their widgets do not always act
as Win32 users would expect.