People's names (was Re: sqlite3 error)

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Mon Oct 9 01:48:05 EDT 2006

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com>wrote:

8<--------------------------------------

> In the days of paper filing (I actually took Shorthand, and a
> Business Machines & Filing course in High School to avoid Phys.Ed.) the
> training for things like oriental names was to choose one for "surname".
> This is where the real papers would be stored. However, one was also
> taught to create cross-reference entries under the other names --
> basically single cards of the form:
>
> sort, name
> see name, sort
>
> I'll concede I doubt if any common database system is designed to
> include that concept <G>

This sort of thing reminds me of a parts inventory system that I worked on -
many moons ago - it had a replacement list consisting of  <old part number> <new
part number> - and you had to follow these links through to the bitter end, as
it could happen multiple times, avoiding infinite loops as you go - on a
"mainframe" with 64 kilobytes of core memory - not a job for recursion...

But luckily we had disks - I would hate to have to do this on a tape drive only
machine...

- Hendrik