socket client server... simple example... not working...

SpreadTooThin bjobrien62 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 15:11:07 EDT 2006

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On 5 Oct 2006 07:01:50 -0700, SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >Jean-Paul many thanks for this and your effort.
> >but why is it every time I try to do something with 'stock' python I
> >need another package?
>
> Maybe you are trying to do things that are too complex :)

No quite the contrary.. Which is why I want to keep it simple...

> >By the time I've finished my project there are like 5 3rd party add-ons
> >to be installed.
>
> I don't generally find this to be problematic.

I have because it usually means makeing on many platforms...
Most of the time this is the nightmare.

> >I know I'm a python newbie... but I'm far from a developer newbie and
> >that can be a recipe for
> >disaster.
>
> Not every library can be part of the standard library, neither can the
> standard library satisfy every possible use-case.  Relying on 3rd party
> modules isn't a bad thing.

No but the less number of lines of code I have to support the better.

> >The stock socket should work and I think I've missed an
> >obvious bug in the code other
> >than checking the return status.

It was indeed as you said I was trying to read/write on the server
socket
not the client socket. (of the server module)

> Well, I did mention one bug other than failure to check return values.
> Maybe you missed it, since it was in the middle.  Go back and re-read
> my response.

Thanks again.
B.