Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Sat Oct 7 03:49:59 EDT 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Giovanni> Are bug-tracker configuration issues so critical that
>     having Giovanni> to wait 48-72hrs to have them fixed is
>     absolutely unacceptable Giovanni> for Python development?
>
> Yes, I think that would put a crimp in things.  The downtimes we see
> for the SourceForge tracker tend to be of much shorter duration than
> that (typically a few hours) and cause usually minor problems when
> they occur.  For the tracker to be down for 2-3 days would make the

I was actually thinking of 48-72hrs to do regulard admin work like installing
latest security patch or actrivate a new account.

> developers temporarily blind to all outstanding bug reports and
> patches during that time and prevent non-developers from submitting
> new bugs, patches and comments.  Those people might well forget about
> their desired submission altogether and not return to submit them
> once the tracker was back up.

I understand your concerns, but I have to remember you that most bug reports
submitted by users go totally ignored for several years, or, better, forever. I
do not have a correct statistic for this, but I'm confident that at least 80%
of the RFE or patches filed every week is totally ignored, and probably at
least 50% of the bugs too. I think there is a much bigger problem here wrt QOS.

So, you might prefer 6-10 people to activate a new tracker account faster than
light. I'd rather have 3-days delay in administrative issues because our single
administrator is sleeping or whatever, and then have 2-3 people doing regular
bug processing.
--
Giovanni Bajo