HTML Templates (Sitemesh/Tiles concept) in Python

Suren surendra.lingareddy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:22:54 EDT 2006

> Python with ? CGI ? FastCGI ? mod_python ? Other ?

We are using mod_python and SSI. We are inheriting some legacy code
that we do not want to mess with at all.

> You shouldn't - unless this is an internal web-based application, not a
> public site. Since your dynamically generating the pages, there's no
> gain using frames - but there are huge drawbacks, for the programmers as
> well as for the visitors.

Although not an internal site, this site is going to be in a controlled
environment. Only a handful of people may access the website.

> There are lot of web templating engines in Python, and most of them
> provide some way to either "extend" an existing template (to fill-in
> page-specific stuffs) or to do server-side-includes-like inclusion of
> common parts. Google for Genshi, Jinja, SimpleTAL, Mighty, Cheetah...

I will look at these and see it works.

> > Any other tips to help life easier are appreciated.
>
> Have you considered using one of the existing python web development
> libraries/frameworks? Like Pylons, Turbogears, Django, Spyce, Karigell,
> etc, etc, etc, etc...
>
> My 2 cents...

We have not considered a framework coz the legacy code base has not
included one. We are living in the same source structure and did not
want to introduce a newer dependency. I hope we can find a
non-intrusive library/framework that does its job.

Thanks.