Python component model

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Oct 10 07:16:27 EDT 2006

>> Nope. Things like CORBA and COM do have that property, but e.g. the Java
>> beans spec has only a meaning inside the VM. Not sure about .NET, but I
>> can imagine there it's the same thing.
>>
> Well the .NET component model is specifically designed to be
> cross-language, but that's a feature of .NET/mono rather than of the
> componenet framework. You are correct about Beans, though.

Is this cross-language in the sense jython can use beans? Or in the sense
like CORBA? I assumed the former, which isn't cross-language in my
perception (at least not in the general sense, as CORBA is)

>> All the languages he mentioned are statically typed, or the component
>> models themselves are. So the component model is basically needed (as
>> others also mentioned) to glue things together, to dynamize that -
>> whereas python is dynamic on the first hand, and actually lacks static
>> typing to infer component properties...
>>
> Just the same, one can use IronPython to call components written in
> other languages. And, I believe, vice versa.

Sure, as I can do it in jython. But the key point is: can your ordinary
python-object be published as a component? At least for jython I can
say "no", you will have to subclass an already existing
java-object/interface. And I have difficulties imagining that it is any
different in .NET - because I've read statements that claimed that the
structure of the VM/runtime is orientied towards single-inheritance
statically typed languages as C#/java.

Diez