Web Hosting

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Oct 16 12:03:15 EDT 2006

Sir Psycho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
> you work with as well?

It at least has to support a reasonable way to deploy an application
using the said framework - now what this implies depends on the choosen
framework.

> Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
> actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
> if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?
>
> If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
> scripting?

It really depends on the ISP. You have to check on case by case basis.

> I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
> into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
> Java.

Things may get a bit more complicated when it comes to web applications.
FWIW, I'm not sure you can deploy any web applications in Java without a
(distinct, long-running process) application server... In the very worst
case, Python has at least CGI support (now why would anyone go for an
ISP that doesn't provide a better Python support is another question !-).

--
bruno desthuilliers