Converting existing module/objects to threads

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Oct 19 13:09:11 EDT 2006

At Thursday 19/10/2006 00:01, jdlists at gmail.com wrote:

> > Consider using the asyncore module instead of threads.
>
>I think that is a good point and I am considering using
>asyncore/asynchat...  i'm a little confused as to how i can make this
>model work.  There is no server communication without connection from
>the client (me), which happens on intervals, not when data is available
>on a socket or when the socket is available to be written, which is
>always.  Basically i need to determine how to trigger the asynchat
>process based on time.  in another application that i write, i'm the
>server and the chat process happens every time the client wakes
>up...easy and perfect for asyncore
>
>That is a solution i'd like to persue, but am having a hard time
>getting my head around that as well.

You have to write your own dispatcher (inheriting from async_chat) as
any other protocol. You can call asyncore.loop whith count=1 (or 10,
but not None, so it returns after a few iterations) inside your *own*
loop. Inside your loop, when time comes, call
your_dispatcher.push(data) so the channel gets data to be sent.
Override collect_incoming_data() to get the response.
You can keep your pending requests in a priority queue (sorted by
time) and check the current time against the top element's time.

Maybe you could successfully implement your application using threads
- if none uses global variables, and no thread waits for another, it
may be safe. But I prefer to avoid threads whenever possible, at
least because debugging the application becomes harder.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.