Book about database application development?

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Mon Oct 16 15:58:33 EDT 2006

> Developping quality SQLDBMS-based applications requires more than "a
> bit" of SQL knowledge.

No doubt. :-) But my "bit" is enough to get me going and to know where to
look for further information if I hit a wall. Especially the people on the
Postgres mailinglists (as well as the excellent documentation of Postgres)
tend to be very helpful here. :-)

>> What I'm interested in is rather how to connect a GUI to a database, with
>> quite a bit of application logic in between. And how to do it well.
>
> This is more a general design question than a database-related (or even
> Python-related) one.

The question is specific to database applications in so far as these are
typically client-server aplications (multiple users working with the same
data with all the resulting concurrency nightmares), and as the volumes and
the complexity of the data to be handled are non-trivial.

> The answer starts with forgetting about "connect(ing) a GUI to a database"
> IMHO

Well, _somehow_ the GUI _has_ to be connected to the database. ;-)

I didn't say that this would be through a spaghetti-heap of SQL queries
hard-coded into the GUI event handlers.

> and experience. Might be time to google for MVC...

I know about the existence of MVC. But what I'm actually missing is a nice
textbook that teaches how to actually implement it (and other design patterns
which are useful for database applications) in a real-world application in a
way that leads to non-ridiculous behaviour of the resulting application when
it gets actually used.

Preferrably using a language for the examples that's readable for someone who
has learned programming ages ago with Pascal and is now using Python because
he _hates_ everything that remotely ressembles to any mutation of
C(++/#/Java).

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

--