python GUIs comparison (want)

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Oct 24 20:37:50 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 17:38, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> PyQt:
> Pro: Powerful, cross-platform, sophisticated GUI's
> Con: Based on C++ toolkit;

That's not a bad thing in itself.

> docs assume knowledge of C++;

Only to a point. I knew Python before I knew C++, and it didn't stop
me from learning PyQt. Think of it as an easy introduction to C++. ;-)

Actually, when it comes to code snippets and examples for Qt, you
only really need to perform some basic search and replace operations
to get close to the same code in Python:

  ::   maps to .
  ->   maps to .
  this maps to self
  &&   maps to and
  ||   maps to or

and so on. Unless you're just copying the code out of the browser,
it should be fairly straightforward to follow.

> commercial deployment is expensive; free deployment must be GPL;

Opinions differ on the first one of these. It's a matter of
perspective.

> smaller development and user community than wxPython

Can you back that up with some numbers?

David